On September 15th, the Frances Perkins Center held a planning session attended by all board members and several friends of the Center. The meeting was facilitated by Carol Wishcamper and was divided into two sections: Programs & Activities; and Finances.
The agreed-upon priorities for programs and activities in the next 18 to 24 months are:
- 75th anniversary of the Social Security Act as a theme for 2010 (yearlong celebration, including January film screening and panel discussion, national conversation/Internet “jam,” book of essays about importance and meaning of Social Security, possible curriculum)
- Oral History project
- Historic Structure/Cultural Landscape Report
- Continuing Outreach through awards program, senior college seminars, etc.
- Fellowship Program (Perkins Center Scholars)
In discussing the Center’s finances, we focused on ways to generate revenue:
- Earned income (sponsorships for events and publications)
- Individual Donors
We set two ambitious financial goals: to submit five grant proposals by December 31, 2009 and to raise $225,000 by next summer. Since the meeting, we have submitted two grant proposals and have raised about $14,000 (only $211,000 to go!).
The meeting ended on a very positive, energetic note. If you’d like to support the Center by making an online donation, go to https://npo.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=7344 and designate the Frances Perkins Center as the recipient of your contribution. Thanks!